A third ‘world culture child’ with an ability to make anywhere her home. Even this little patch of the internet.

Sunday 26 October 2014

Kindle Haul- Readings for the Cold and Stressed

As I mentioned in previous posts I am back at university- something that is both exciting and stressful. I also have a cold at the moment that has rendered me totally pathetic. As you may have noticed if you follow me on pinterest that I rather like reading and joke about it in gif form (along with cats, firefly and Sherlock...not that I'm a stereotypical youth on the internet or anything...). It's pretty clear that books are almost as good as comfort food for me, so I've been a little downloading fiend this morning and thought I should share it with you. 

1. Not that Kind of Girl by Lena Dunham: 

I am so excited to read this! It's a collection of essays, which I have never read outside of studying, so I'm curious to see how it works as reading for pleasure. It has also been popping up on my instagram feed non-stop recently, so I'm hoping it's worth all the hype. I don't really know what to expect from it, but I'm hoping for another perspective of How to be a Woman by Catlin Moran...but then at the same time if its completely different, I think I'll still love it. I'm not even a 'Girls' fan, but I still love Lena Dunham and am curious to see what she's like as an author. 









2. High Fidelity by Nick Hornby:

I watched the film adaptation of A Long Way Down over the summer and wasn't sure how I felt about it. However, it made me curious to read some of Hornby's work because I have loved previous film adaptations like About a Boy, but feel awful when I watch films that are based on books and never pick up the paper version. High Fidelity was adapted into a film in 2000 that I haven't seen either, so if I enjoy the book I may give the film a watch too and review them side-by-side for you. 







3. The Beach Cafe by Lucy Diamond: 
This was a totally random pick, which can sometimes result in finding a new favourite author. It was on the Kindle Bestseller list and is all about sibling rivalries and finding your place in the world- something I think most people can relate to. Moreover, it's predominantly set in Cornwall (see my St Ives post to understand my love for that county), which isn't far from where I go to uni. It looks like an easy read that I can curl up with a cup of tea with. 









4. Everyone's reading Bastard by Nick Hornby:
Another Horby book, simply because I couldn't decide which one to choose! Both are about breakups, but this is about a divorce that ends up being dragged out online and in a newspaper column. Not only did the title make me giggle, but it sounds like Hornby is exploring the complicated world of modern relationships. I love these kinds of books that try to negotiate how the internet affects relationships (just see my Fangirl review)- especially in a comedic setting. Another easy read to enjoy!








This should result in reviews coming out each week when I have finished these delights, so keep an eye on and don't forget to follow on bloglovin' to keep track of when I post- I'm going to try for every sunday and we'll see how that goes. 


No comments:

Post a Comment