A third ‘world culture child’ with an ability to make anywhere her home. Even this little patch of the internet.

Sunday 14 June 2015

Summer Sunshine, Silly Names and the End of Exams!

As you'll know from my previous post I'm leaving beautiful Exeter. It's scary in itself but it's also my friends and I have realised that we haven't explored Devon properly and only have a limited time to do so! 

In that vein, I was roused from one of my many post exam naps (genuinely, it's the novelty of being able to sleep at any time that gets me) to be told that a pub lunch and country walk were on offer. How could I refuse!?


The NoBody Inn was our lunch spot, in Doddiscombsleigh, a name which caused great entertainment. Lots of people around Exeter had spoken about it as a great pub in the countryside- it has the most amazing collection of whiskies (not really my scene, but it might interest you). If anyone knows how to pronounce it then please do let me know. We ended up mumbling it a bit when trying to explain where we were. 



Feeling a little sorry for myself, I went for the ham egg and chips, but their burgers also look incredible and Katy won the ordering game with her brie tartlet and sweet potato chips. It wasn't too busy and we just basked in the early summer sunshine, enjoying our freedom! 

The friendly staff there gave us directions to Haldon Forest Park for an afternoon stroll in the sun. We promptly forgot what they said and managed (with the help of a satnav) to find it. 







It's the perfect place for families to spend a day in the sunshine, with bike hire and even Segway tours (though I personally think they're a little strange for a forest walk). It's part of the Forestry Commission and has a butterfly conservation area that we walked through. It's not challenging walking but ideal for those prone to getting lost on footpaths (like me). Also when we arrived it looked super busy, but fortunately we barely saw anyone on our walk. 


















stolen from insta. Thanks Merryn! 
The best part was definitely the view over Exeter; sometimes it's easy to get caught up in the uni bubble so physically getting out of town was so refreshing. Cracking views, sunshine and of course the usual suspects made for a rather lovely day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment