A third ‘world culture child’ with an ability to make anywhere her home. Even this little patch of the internet.

Friday 6 June 2014

Food-y Weekend

As I said in my last post, I was in London recently for an interview (the scary reality of only having one more year of university left!). Asides from work, it's always a great excuse to see my sister, which in turn is a great excuse for the one thing we do best together: eating. 

Em's always hearing about new great places to eat and Kopapa in Seven Dials (Covent Garden) has been on her list for ages. It's a great little place next to where 'Matilda' is on at the moment so a great spot for any musical lovers. 


It's an asian-fusion style place with a pretty exciting menu. We went for the small plates to share so we could have a taste of as much as possible- the waiter recommended about two plates per person as a guide on how much to order. 


We started off with babaganoush flatbread and olives. Since our family trip to Corfu last summer, I am addicted to this combination, but it was the mains that really got us excited. 


First off, the Chilli and Seasame salted squid. This was quite simply the world's most delicious calamari, served with an amazing dipping sauce (I have no idea what was in it, but whatever it was, I liked it). 


Then there was the roast Hake with quail's egg- the dinkiest bit of fish I have ever seen, but delicious all the same due to its glaze, and my general love of fish. 


We also took a recommendation from the waiter, which was the Dhal Inari pocket- a fragrant dhal wrap that was on a bed of pickled papaya and coconut. I normally hate coconut, but in this combination it was just perfect- sweet, but sharp from the pickling of the papaya... damn I'm hungry now. 


Heck, even the side of broccolini was amazing because it had crispy shallots on top of it. These people know what they're doing with even the simplest of stuff. 

It doesn't look like much but my god..the Dhal and Broccolini

Now, if you think I can't get any more excited about the food in this place, it's time to deal with pudding. My sister texted me before I came down just out of excitement from the menu and the reality exceeded my expectations. 


Em has a deep-rooted addiction to peanut butter, something I truly hate. However, the sight of a peanut butter parfait had got her pretty excited and pretty much was pure peanut. She was one happy lady. Similarly, I have a thing for salted caramel, so the sundae with chocolate and salted caramel sauce was just meant to be. It was incredible- the sauces were almost too rich, but the popcorn and ice-cream (a flavour which I cannot describe except for floral and citrus-ey) offset them nicely, enabling me to gobble the whole thing up. If you're there with another peanut butter lover, get this combo of puddings- Em said that the sauce from my sundae was pretty great with the remnants of her parfait. 




I think it's obvious I am very keen on Kopapa. Get yourself down there pronto. 


The following morning Em kindly took the morning off so that we could head down to The Modern Pantry in Clerkenwell. It was another London-y haunt that she had wanted to go to for brunch and so we popped in and both had the eggs benedict- mine with bacon and hers with tea smoked salmon. It was nice, but nothing to shout home to the cows about. Anyway, it photographed well. 



I wonder if it was the afterglow of Kopapa that made The Modern Pantry not look as fancy- but it was pretty great weekend food-wise, that's for sure. 

No comments:

Post a Comment