A third ‘world culture child’ with an ability to make anywhere her home. Even this little patch of the internet.

Tuesday 1 April 2014

'The Cuckoo's Calling' by Robert Galbraith/J.K. Rowling Review

http://www.robert-galbraith.com



I promise a review of this soon, and here it is! I know this book has been out for ages, but the sequel is out on 19th June, so if you want to know what all the fuss is about, here's an
insight! 

I have read The Casual Vacancy (let's all be honest now, we both know that J.K. Rowling is Robert Galbraith) and just did not enjoy it. However, I went towards this with an open mind and promises that it was actually a great read. 

The basic plot line is about a failing private detective, Camoran Strike (Rowling's protagonist for a series it seems) who has a new case landed in his lap. It's the reported suicide of model Lula Landry- her brother believes that she died under suspicious circumstances. While Strike works on the case he also hires a temp secretary called Robin who forms a friendship with the detective. 

I'm not a big fan of reading crime novels, simply because I think they're great stories for the TV. There were times in this where I felt it was a little too slow to really capture my attention- I actually started and finished another book while reading this one, it was that easy to put down. 

It does have it's advantages though. Namely it means I actually get some sleep rather than sacrificing it to find out what happens next. 

Anyway, I ended up really enjoying the interactions between Robin and Strike more than the actual case solving bit, but there was also a great twist at the end (no spoilers, don't worry). 

It shows that if I didn't find the characters endearing then I wouldn't have finished this book. Strike being an army veteran with a prosthetic leg meant that I cared for him, because he had vulnerabilities- his challenging family also linked to that, but it was a bit too Casual Vacancy for me having an addict for a mother. Alternatively, Robin's struggles to do what was expected of her and what she really wanted to do struck a chord. Rowling once again presents a female character that is strong, but without shoving the Vindication of the Rights of Women down your throat. 

Definitely a great holiday read- was perfect for escaping the horrors of EasyJet on my latest flight out to Geneva. 

1 comment:

  1. Hey Nessa, thanks so much! What's your blog called? I'll search for it on bloglovin x

    ReplyDelete