A third ‘world culture child’ with an ability to make anywhere her home. Even this little patch of the internet.

Monday 31 March 2014

Amazon Kindle: A traveller's best friend

I've recently headed back to Geneva for my Easter holidays, and want a break from the horrors of university work before revision sets in...

...and there it is, sitting pretty in it's Klevver Case cover with a whole world of books for me to enjoy. 

I am a sucker for a good book- therefore expect more reviews to appear on here from time to time. 

However, I do not appreciate the size and weight of my limited 20 kilo allowance that books take up. Enter Amazon Kindle as my hero. 

I've had this for a while, since my birthday in November to be exact and I'm just loving it. It's light, easy to use and has meant that I read for pleasure so much more- something that had rapidly declined when I went to uni. 

Anyways, my companion at the Bristol Airport Starbucks, here are my recent purchases from the Kindle Store: 


1. The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith- This is the book that caused a stir when it came out because of the not-so-new news that it's J.K Rowling actually writing it- the sequel is now open for pre-order. I'm currently half-way through and loving it! It's taken a while to get into it, but now it's a great little bedtime read. I'll review it properly once finished. 

2. Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell- This was recommended in a review by booksandquills on YouTube- her excitement and enthusiasm for the book piqued my curiosity. It's about twins who are heading off to uni and one of them is a fan fiction author. I'm excited to see developing internet crazes and social media starting to feature in literature- it seemed to be what Sanne (booksandquills' actual name) was excited about too. 

3. Half Bad by Sally Green- This was another booksandquills recommendation from her haul. I wasn't convinced until I saw the review comments on the Amazon site- sounds like it's going to be the next Hunger Games, so of course I have to see what all the fuss is about. 

4. The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides- A bit of a heavy-going choice, I know, but YouTuber JustKissMyFrog is to blame here- she was so passionate about the ideas explored in it and it just sounds so... cool? I'm hoping it's going to be as interesting as The Five People You Meet in Heaven or Perks of Being a Wallflower
Side note- how cool is this cover? You can still appreciate these things with a Kindle 

As you may have guessed, these will probably be the first on the review list, but I make no promises! 

No comments:

Post a Comment