A third ‘world culture child’ with an ability to make anywhere her home. Even this little patch of the internet.

Friday 14 March 2014

There's no place like...

 Last week I was able to take a long weekend away, due to fortuitous timetabling (this was the main silver lining of doing a week’s worth of reading in 3 days). So on Wednesday I fought the floods (and network rail) to get myself to Bristol Airport, which is sadly a glorified air hanger- the joys of countryside universities I suppose! I have to credit First Great Western for saving me a horrible bus replacement service for a faster train option to get from Exeter to Bristol- it was nice to actually have station staff not look at you like a piece of poo on their shoe for once.

I said I was from nowhere, and this is kind of why; Geneva's 'home', but for the time being. We’ve lived there for about 2 years now and I love it as a place to really relax. Our house is 20 minutes outside of the city centre and even then it’s small villages and vineyards, rather than commuter suburbia like in the UK. When I want to disappear for a few days from the madness of uni- or in my sister and brother’s case from the working world, this is where we go!


The first couple of days my parents were both working and I barely conscious to be honest; the shutters on our windows cut out every inch of sunlight in the mornings, plus I had forgotten just how comfy my bed was. But I had two little monsters to take responsibility of, so it was up and out without a stitch of makeup (hence the sunglasses in most photos, I don’t want to scare you off) to enjoy the spring sunshine.


The lovely Tim...
...and the lovely Tilly























The walks around here are amazing- it’s all farmland and when the sun shines, I don’t think there’s anywhere better. Plus, dog walks mean that I can spoil myself to breakfasts like this:



The only place that could possibly trump down by the lake in the sun is up on the slopes- I was able to sneak in a day of skiing while I was out here, in the nearby Les Gets, France. The boarder is only 5 minutes away from us, actually on the edge of the village and then it’s about a 45-minute drive to the resort. My parents get to ski every weekend and after Saturday’s ski session, I am really jealous.


My sister flew out on the Friday night, so along with Dad we headed up for a day’s skiing. It’s coming to the end of the season, because Les Gets is quite low and they’re having unseasonably warm weather at the moment- but it makes for some lovely views.


Generally speaking around this time of year and when the weather’s reaching 6-10 degrees C, it’s best to ski from 10am-2pm. Our guide, Fabrice (the only ski instructor my mum trusts) said that before that it’s too icy without fresh snow and after it becomes ‘like ze porridge’. I take advice from a man who’s a born and bred Les Gets boy.

It was amazing weather- but don’t let yourself get burnt! I use Le Roche-Posay factor 50 face sun cream for skiing, or whenever I’m spending long periods of time outside. I’ve got really fair skin and it’s non-greasy and it soaks in really well. I’ve never been burnt wearing it so I guess that’s the ultimate testament.

We had originally planned for a weekend’s worth of skiing, but with the weather being so pretty down by the lake, we decided to follow a Sunday tradition (outside of the ski season); a long dog walk!

We kept it local, around the countryside outside the house and went down to the village. It was clear skies and for me had the best of both worlds in the weather- sunshine and warmth, but a cool breeze that meant I wasn’t a sweaty Betty strolling around the countryside.
 


















As I said, we stopped into the village partway to have a drink and just to enjoy the weather- common practise, I would think. It was a small miracle that anywhere was open. Geneva/Switzerland is pretty traditional on Sunday being the day of rest- but luckily the sunshine had meant it was an opportunity too good to miss for the cafes in Hermance! It was great sitting out, but the experience was mixed. Firstly, my dogs aren’t great in enclosed spaces where there are other dogs (outside this pub there were a couple just chilling), so our table had a bit of a wobble when a lovely black lab came near! Secondly, our waitress was a nightmare- upon our order of drinks (and a few little nibbles), she realised we weren’t stopping for food and was outraged. Her whole attitude was rude, disrespectful and not what I’m used to in Geneva, where restaurant service is normally amazing. It put a slight dampner on an otherwise amazing last day in Switzerland.
 
The View down into the village




We continued on through the village and mum and I took a few snaps of the ‘plage’ in Hermance- a park on the lakeside. It was pretty idyllic to say the least and it seemed like the entire village were there!






Me, Mum and Em 



We wandered home to a cuppa and dozing in front of the six nations (me) or passionately watching it with much excitement (dad).



I didn’t really want to leave when I got up for my flight on the Monday morning, but it was a great getaway- hopefully shows some of you there’s more than skiing to do in and around Geneva. I’ll be back there in 2 weeks for more antics.

No comments:

Post a Comment