A third ‘world culture child’ with an ability to make anywhere her home. Even this little patch of the internet.

Wednesday 28 May 2014

'Eleanor and Park' by Rainbow Rowell- Review























Now you know I have a deep love for Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell and I knew that Eleanor and Park also existed. I was kind of afraid that it would be the 'bad second album' syndrome (despite being the first book she wrote). However, once more I was completely obsessed and this book stopped me from going insane during exam season. 


Basic plot: Eleanor is a teenage girl, the eldest child and lives with her mum and stepdad. She's just returned after moving out because of problems with one of the most evil characters ever- the stepdad, Richie. Park is a half- American half-Korean boy who keeps to himself and has a fully functioning family- except relations with his Dad are strained. These two find each other and form an unlikely bond. It basically follows their lives.  


It sounds like there isn't much that goes on in this book, but I just don't want to spoil it for you. Inside each chapter you see both Eleanor and Park's perspectives as the events play out, meaning that their plot lines run parallel to each other. I guess I have a thing for novels written in the first person; I either love them or hate them. Fortunately in this case, I really cared about both Park and Eleanor. I have found with other books written in the same style (sadly, I thinking of The Song of Ice and Fire series here) where I'm reading as fast as possible through one section just to get back to characters I actually like. 


I think it's the combination of characters that makes this book, highlighting a really important concept; what people find hard to deal with isn't comparable or relative, but difficult in itself. Park and Eleanor's families are their biggest challenges, but on different scales and in different ways and you sympathise with both of them. It's not really a light and fluffy read, but don't be scared off by it- Rowell manages to take you through the tough parts with the sweetness of Eleanor and Park's relationship. 


A great read and it's made me a certified Rowell fan- here's hoping there's more to come! 

No comments:

Post a Comment