A third ‘world culture child’ with an ability to make anywhere her home. Even this little patch of the internet.

Friday 16 May 2014

One family, one car and a lot of winding roads: Le Marche, Italy

As I'm deep in exam season, I'm already fantasising about summer holidays, so thought it was time to share my Easter road trip with you! After Merryn headed home, I only had a day to help get the house ready before our family friends stopped in. They were our heroes, coming to house and dog-sit while we headed off to Le Marche region in Italy. 

The great thing about Geneva is how easy it is to get out of Geneva- it takes 3 hours on the train to Paris (well worth it, simply for the double-decker train) and on a good run, Milan is 3 hours from the Mont Blanc tunnel. Despite these amazing places being a decent drive away, we decided to head off on a 9 hour slog to our first location, San Marino. The Book Thief audiobook was the only thing that kept us sane. 


It was our first experience of real italian food for a long time, but paled in comparison to what we were going to eat further along the holiday. The Hotel Ceasare was nice, but pretty average- my room was tiny, but the beds were comfy and the breakfast was good. 


We only had the following morning in San Marino, so we went for a quick explore around the hilltop old town. 


San Marino isn't actually part of Italy- like the Vatican, it's an independent country/state- it has it's own government and some amazing architecture. We only looked at two of the most imposing buildings- the first and second tower of the fortified walls. These imposing buildings had sheer drops on either side of them- making dramatic scenery and giving me jelly legs. 

The First Tower
Mum and I after the terrifying trapdoor

The First tower resulted in me having a bit of a wobbly, simply because what I thought was simply a steep staircase was a short ladder through a trapdoor to get to the top. I have a real thing about ladders and heights and since travelling with my parents acted like such a wimp climbing back down again. The jelly legs were there to stay. How embarrassing. 
Still stir crazy from the Car journey
Anyway, my dad and I continued to the second tower and he managed to take some pretty dramatic pictures of the first- the main advantage, because both towers were pretty similar-though it did have a weapons museum inside, which Dad enjoyed. 
The Second Tower

Anyway, it was on to Ancona to pick up my sister from the airport- she managed to get a RyanAir flight from Stanstead out to Ancona for less than £1oo! I think it was around the £30 mark for one way (£50 with check in baggage). 


Ancona was the planned lunch stop, which caused some concern because when we drove in it looked like a very industrial ferry port and nothing more. However, my sister approached a couple once we had parked and asked them where was good for lunch- resulting in a hilarious conversation that highlighted how we knew no Italian, and they spoke no English. We finally got a vague sense of where to go and stopped for some amazing pasta- a solid feature of this holiday and I forgot to take a picture of any of it! Stupid me. Anyway, unless you have to stop there, I wouldn't go to Ancona- asides from the impressive Cathedral that they have there, it didn't really enchant me- that being said, if you follow the staircase down from the Cathedral into a small square there's a little wine bar that does the most delicious stuffed pasta. Tortelli, I think it's called (the pasta, not the bar). 


From there, it was on to our final stop- Casa Ginestra in San Vernanzo... 

1 comment:

  1. Some gorgeous pictures here!

    I've nominated you for The Very Inspiring Blogger Award, go check it out on my blog at http://emhasrednails.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/the-very-inspiring-blogger-award.html
    x

    ReplyDelete